In the last months of development now.
We are beta testing. Would you be interested in doing that? You need Lion, but you can use MC2 alongside MC1: they have separate databases.
Lion really is awesome! It is worth the upgrade if you can. The
new features in Mental Case 2.0 are great and take advantage of
some cool technologies in Lion. If they start to use iCloud when
its released it'll be perfect. Try to keep in an open mind.
and if he hadn't moved on we would complain that he never
adopted new stuff.
He gave at least one reason and there are others. Many
developers have taken this approach, eg indev.com and I understand
why. Releasing a .0 update is an opportunity to clearly change
minimum requirements and minimize confusion about what versions
work where. there is no 10.6.something issue.
I don't have Lion yet and I really had plans to wait for more of
my audio software to get updated but the push by deelopers to get
.0 updates on Lion means i will probably run lion on an external
Yeah, I wasn't trying to criticize people who don't want to
upgrade. I can understand the need to wait sometimes. You must be
running Pro Tools. :) They're notorious for being slow to adapt,
I'm sure there is a good reason. Yeah, I was just trying to say
that Mental Case 2.0 is awesome and the features that are lion
specific really make it stand out. I would just hate to see them
aim lower and not advance the mental software. That's why I'm
hoping people will be less critical of the Mental Case team.
To respond to the criticism, I understand that some people will not like it, but it really does allow us to do a lot of stuff we couldn't otherwise do, of which cloud syncing is the most important. Full screen mode and gestures are other nice to haves.
We could have aimed at 10.6, and then had to require 10.7 in 6 months or so, but the kick back there would probably be even worse.
It's always a balance between backward compatibility and adding new features. Given this is a fresh start, it was better to target the most recent OS available, since this app will be with us in a similar form for many years to come. Even if some people can't upgrade on day 1 because they don't have Lion, I expect most people to upgrade to Lion in 6 months or so, and then it would be a shame to shackle the app just for the sake of a few months.
We will keep supporting version 1.9.x for a while after 2.0 is released.
Yes, I really would like to upgrade to lion too.
But please keep in mind that even big companies like IBM are
uneager to set up their products to be compatible for lion in near
future. If you´re using serious complex software environment
it´ll take some time to be able to migrate.
I´m using Mental Case on many devices since the first
minute and I´ve waited really long for some bugs or some
little BASIC features to come. Now it´s really frustrating
that I´ll have to wait another year to participate.
What I primary want to say that Mental faculty only take the big
steps forward. I don´t want to talk about gestures or stuff
like this anymore... nice, but that´re not the criteria I
choose my products I use. Some little improvements in basic
features would have been nice the last 1,5 yrs. AND: Some kind of
improvements really would have been easy to develop.
Now I have to decide if I can wait or if there´re other
products with similar quality meanwhile :-(
I really don´t want to.. so please keep supporting 1,9 at