Upgrading to Mac App Store - Issue with plist file

Nic

20 Jan, 2011 07:45 PM

Hi,

I think I've solved my problem, but I was a touch surprised given that no other comments exist on this. So, maybe Drew could just confirm, and then this could be useful for other people upgrading:

When I, today, purchased the app on the Mac App Store, I immediately noticed that my lesson count was wrong, and on further investigation, I realised that most settings had gone back to default (including my lesson schedule setting).

I then discovered that the new app had created a NEW PLIST file: (~/Library/Preferences/com.mentalfaculty.mentalcase.mac.plist)…

but all my old settings appeared to be in a different PLIST file (~/Library/Preferences/com.mentalfaculty.mentalcase.mac.plist).

I simply exited the app, deleted the newly-created PLIST file, and renamed the original PLIST file to the new name. This seemed to do the job.

(the only potential light I can throw on this is that I had the original (latest update) app in a sub folder of my Applications folder, and the Mac App Store installed the new app in the base Applications folder), so I did for a short while have both apps.

Anyway, all is working now, and I've successfully tested a sync with my iPhone as well.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by drewmccormack on 21 Jan, 2011 07:34 AM

Yes, you are quite right. The Mac App Store version has a different id to the off store app. If you switch, your prefs will reset. You can copy the old prefs file, or simply go through and set your prefs again.

Just another annoying quirk of the App Store migration.

Drew

2. drewmccormack closed this discussion on 28 Jan, 2011 09:42 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac