Mental overload - too large of a database?

Rich

10 Feb, 2011 07:42 PM

I am studying for my A&P classes at the moment and I love Mental Case. It's wonderful! But last night and today I ran into a bit of a problem. Mental case crashes at random times as I'm either making new notes or as I'm studying a lesson. It all started happening after my database grew to be over 1.3GB (I have several hundred notes with images on them). When MC crashes, my entire system basically grinds to a halt. I have to force quit everything and restart my computer (thankfully I don't get a kernel panic or have the system freeze up entirely).
Is the crash of MC possibly due to the huge database I have?
Any help would be awesome.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by drewmccormack on 11 Feb, 2011 07:09 AM

It could be. We have improvements for media storage in the next major release.

In the meantime, you could try studying shorter slideshows, or exporting some of the larger cases and deleting them if you don't really need to study them at this point.

Kind regards,
    Drew

2. 2 Posted by Rich on 11 Feb, 2011 07:18 AM

I've thought of that. I mean, after the next exam, I'm planning on doing a bit of shuffling with the contents. Is there any plan to support multiple / different libraries? What I mean is, I'm planning on going to the Mental Case application support folder and renaming the library to something different like "Unit 2" so that next time I start up I'll have a different default library.mentalcaselib created and I can start anew for Unit 3.

It would be really awesome if, in a future version, there was support for just selecting the library you want to use... or is there some setting I've yet to find?

Thanks for your reply.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by drewmccormack on 11 Feb, 2011 07:45 AM

No direct support at this time. You could use an app like Roo Switch to do the moving of files.

These large database issues should disappear when we release version 2, which stores all media in separate files, like iTunes.

Drew

4. 4 Posted by Rich on 11 Feb, 2011 07:53 AM

Thanks for the info about Roo Switch. I'm really looking forward to the release of version 2. Sounds awesome!

Oh, and thanks to the developers for making this wonderful tool. It has made studying for A&P immeasurably easier.

5. drewmccormack closed this discussion on 11 Feb, 2011 07:57 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac