Follow up to Sorting Accented Characters

nic

25 Feb, 2011 10:46 AM

Sorry to start a new thread, but the old one (https://mentalfaculty.tenderapp.com/discussions/problems/1302-sorti...) got closed quite quickly.

The problem with languages is that not all use accents in the same way. For example, the Nordic languages, (for example Swedish), have three characters / letters that are technically not accents: å, ä, & ö. They are treated as separate letters, and in true Swedish sort order appear after z (so there are 29 letters in the alphabet: a-z, å, ä, & ö).

I could go on to compare French and Spanish, where they use accents on many letters and the letters are treated as the original characters and appear in a normal sort order… except in Spanish they have extra letters as well (in addition to the accents), such as the ñ which is treated as it's own letter (and for that matter, so is double L [ll].

Given that English has been assumed by the world as a common communicative language (rightly or wrongly), it makes sense to keep the sort order as it is, as I can't imagine how Drew & his team could support sort orders for so many different languages.

However, it would be nice if the search functions (both on the touch apps and the mac app) could search for accented or extra characters, which today it does not. Since I am working with languages this is often a pain as I get many extra search results returned when I include an accented or extra character.

Or could it be a setting in preferences to have the option to either search accurately or with the fuzzy search we have today.

(This is not a major issue… a first release of 2.0 is far more important. But just something for both Drew and his team as well as other users to think about).

Nic.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by drewmccormack on 25 Feb, 2011 10:53 AM

Hi Nic,
    The problem with this is that when we did require you to search with accents included, which was how it originally was on the Mac, we got complaints the other way, that they weren't ignored in the searches.
    I think indeed the only real solution would be a preference.
    We'll look into it.
    Thanks for the feedback.
    Kind regards,
    Drew

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac