Simple lesson run through

AJ

10 Feb, 2011 03:47 PM

Hey all,

I have a very large case right now that I have made. What I want to do is simply go through every question I have on it, and have Mental case simply keep track of which ones I have done, which ones I have gotten right and which ones I have gotten wrong so that it doesn't repeat itself, and I can make sure I go through all the questions.

The problems I am having:
1. If I just study them outside of "Lesson mode" it does not keep track of them, and each time I come back to study them, there was no tracking and it repeats questions I have already answered
2. I still haven't understood the lesson plans. If I pick monthly, or weekly, the questions don't show up in my lesson, and I DON'T want Mental case re-adding cards I have already gone over

Simply put: I just want to be able to go through all my questions once, and then afterwards be able to go over only the questions I got wrong! This is just about as simple as it gets... are you able to do this?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by drewmccormack on 10 Feb, 2011 03:55 PM

Mental Case already does that for you. It doesn't split it up into multiple slideshows, but it does repeat the ones you got wrong at the end. It is effectively the same as going through all notes, and then going through the ones you got wrong. If you have a lot of cards, you are best 'resume' the slideshow, so you don't lose track of which were wrong etc. Just keep going to the end, rather than restarting.

The Lesson is a more advanced approach. Not only do your wrong notes get repeated in the current slideshow, they also appear sooner in future lessons.

Kind regards,
    Drew

2. 2 Posted by AJ on 10 Feb, 2011 05:04 PM

But when I sync my iphone to my mac it loses this progress. Also what if I wanted to do a different slideshow?

I want it to be just like you said, except continuously tracked

If I lost my progress half way through my cards it would be devastating. There is a LOT of info on them, and I need to get through them all in 2 weeks. I will also be adding new cords as I go along.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by drewmccormack on 10 Feb, 2011 05:18 PM

The lesson is the best way to track this sort of thing. Simple repetition of wrong notes is quite inefficient. The lesson uses the optimal 'spaced repetition' algorithm.

If you do want to continue organizing everything yourself, you are better off splitting your cases into 50-100 cards. This allows you to get through a full set easily, with repetitions, before moving on.

Drew

4. 4 Posted by AJ on 10 Feb, 2011 05:36 PM

I need my cards completely randomized however.

Even if I did follow the split up case format, it would still have the same problem. I just want a regular Leitner schedule, that gets me through all the cards, without resetting itself according to the schedule. In this scenario, if I were to finish all my cases, and then come back to an older set of cases, the lesson would have been "reset" and I would have to go through all the cards again, rather then just the ones I got wrong.

It seems like the functionality I am seeking is pretty simplistic. There should be an option for this. I have the iFlipr app as well, which does what I need, but the editing software is poor.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by drewmccormack on 10 Feb, 2011 06:40 PM

MC uses a 'lesson' based on 'spaced repetition'. This is very similar to , though a bit more powerful, because Leitner was restricted by having to schedule on paper.

If you turn on the lesson, and study with the lesson mode, it will be very similar to what you want. It automatically randomizes cards. Wrong notes reappear the next time you study. Correct notes get further and further in the future.

It does everything you need, believe me. It's based on supermemo, which is probably the most powerful scheduling software there is.

Drew

6. 6 Posted by AJ on 10 Feb, 2011 06:50 PM

But I don't want spaced repetition, and I want to study on my own schedule... I don't have time for that. Sure that would be useful if I was trying to learn German or something over time, but I need to learn over 1500 cards in the next two weeks. I don't have time for cards to be put back into my deck that I don't want. I just want a simple leitner system for a complete pass through all my cards, and then repetition of only the ones I get wrong.

With the lesson, every time I sync it back to the computer, it adds more and more cards back into the lesson that I already went through before, and I never finish.

Maybe one of the "lesson schedule" settings would work if you could explain it. For example, I tried setting it to "yearly" or "monthly" so that it would NOT put cards back in... however, then the cards never show up in the lesson at all.

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by drewmccormack on 10 Feb, 2011 07:06 PM

The best lesson schedule is just 'Standard'. It works a lot like Leitner. Cards do appear regularly at the beginning, but the more you get them right, the further in the future they return.

If you need to cram, you are probably better off not using the lesson. Instead, set the 'Shuffle Slides' option to on, and select your case. When you mark a note wrong, it is added multiple times through the slideshow. If you don't finish in time, use the resume option to continue.

If you find your slideshows are always too long to finish, it is better to break your big case down into smaller ones, and study each in a separate slideshow. This is better anyway, because if you have a really big case, by the time you get back to the ones you don't know, you have have forgotten them completely, and there is no advantage.

If you do want to use the lesson, you can turn it off and on for each case. So I recommend splitting the notes into 50-100 notes per case, and just turning on the lesson for a few at a time. When it becomes manageable, turn it on for a few more,etc.

However you do it, you have to go through a lot of notes. For it to be effective, you are going to want to split up the load in some way. Multiple cases is one way to do that.

We are currently working on version 2, and it has both the spaced repetition mode, and a simple cyclic leitner like cramming mode. For now though, the standard slideshow does repeat notes you got wrong, so that should work almost the same.

Kind regards,
    Drew

8. 8 Posted by AJ on 10 Feb, 2011 07:12 PM

Can you explain how the standard lesson schedule works exactly? How often does it add notes back in, or what is the underlying algorithm?

How does it work when you sync it to your phone and back?

9. Support Staff 9 Posted by drewmccormack on 11 Feb, 2011 07:06 AM

Notes come back in increasing intervals. After 1 day, 7 days, 16 days etc

Syncing with the iPhone is just like doing a study session with the Mac. The notes get rescheduled once.

Hope that helps.

Kind regards,
    Drew

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac