iMac & muliple users

Broadwell

17 Mar, 2011 04:53 AM

I wish to 1) set up the Mac Version on an iMac (as the administrator) to sync with my iPhone and 2) share cards with family members who are users on the same iMac. Will that work? When they log on, will they have access to the program, will separate data be kept regarding their memory work, and can they create their own decks? Thanks.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by drewmccormack on 17 Mar, 2011 07:13 AM

They will have access to the app, but they will have different libraries of cards.

You could export cards from your library in mental case archive format, and import those into the other libraries.

Keeping separate libraries is generally better, because MC tracks your study, which should be per individual.

Hope that helps.

Kind regards,
    Drew

2. 2 Posted by Freeman Broadwe... on 18 Mar, 2011 02:25 AM

Drew,

Thanks so much for the reply. That raises a couple of follow-up questions if you don't mind.

What would be the best process for a group using the same iMac to share a Mental Case deck(s) that is updated regularly with new cards? Would it be exporting/importing an new version of an archived deck - or would one loose the information on one's memory work on the older cards in the new, revised deck? Would it be better, and is it possible to export/import a new deck with the new cards and then combine the old and new decks without losing the historical memory work?

Thanks you your help in advance.
    Freeman

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Thursday, March 17, 2011 3:14 AM
    To: [email blocked]
    Subject: Re: iMac & muliple users [Questions]

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by drewmccormack on 18 Mar, 2011 05:23 PM

Hi Freeman,
    Mental Case does not consider the notes in an archive to be the same set of notes. Each time you import an archive, it makes a new copy.
    It is best to try to finalize a case before exporting and distributing it. It you must make changes afterwards, you could either select just those notes, and export those, or you could export the whole case, import it again, and then move the new notes from the new case to the old, and trash the left overs.
    As you say, if you throw away the old case, and just use the new one, you will lose your study history.
    Hope that helps.
    Kind regards,
    Drew

4. 4 Posted by Freeman Broadwe... on 19 Mar, 2011 05:30 AM

Thanks Drew. I think I see a way to do what I want. Please confirm I that I am getting it right. I can export a new deck with cards that are to be added to a pre-existing deck. Once the new deck is imported, the new deck can be merged or added to the old deck without losing the information on the work done on the older cards. Have I got it?

To share a deck, do I email a copy of it?

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Friday, March 18, 2011 1:26 PM
    To: [email blocked]
    Subject: Re: iMac & muliple users [Questions]

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by drewmccormack on 19 Mar, 2011 08:20 AM

Yes, you have the idea.
    To share, choose Export from File. Choose Mental Case Archive format.
    You can then email to another computer. If you have multiple accounts on one computer, you can go via the Public folder of each user, or via the /Users/Shared folder
    Hope that helps.
    Kind regards,
    Drew

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac