Restoring a Backup for Studies (macOS)
Studies on the Mac makes a backup before it starts iCloud syncing, so if you lose data accidentally while initiating sync, it is often possible to get it back.
The restoration is a bit of a chore, but this is how you do it:
- Best to turn off the iCloud sync switch in Studies on ALL of your devices first.
- On the Mac, first Quit Studies, then go to the Finder, and choose Go > Go to Folder
- Enter this
- You should see some folders starting with Library…. Each one is a backup.
- Find the one with the most recent date.
- Select it, and choose Edit > Copy. Go to your Desktop in Finder and choose Edit > Paste.
- Now in Finder, choose Go > Go to Folder again. This time enter
~/Library/Containers/com.mentalfaculty.studies.mac/Data/Library/Application Support/Studies(There is a single space after
Application, and no return characters)
- You should see a folder called
Library.studieslib. Drag it the Desktop.
- Drag the other folder from the Desktop into the location that you found
Library.studieslib, and rename it to
Library.studieslib. (Use File > Get Info to confirm the filename is correct.)
- Launch Studies. Your data should be back.
- Go to Preferences, and click the
Resetbutton to reset the iCloud data. Do this on all your devices.
- Turn on iCloud, one device at a time, and wait for the upload to complete each time before starting on another device.